Skip to main content

Some thoughts on Wil Wheaton, The Internet, Radio Free Burrito and Taylor Swift

I've been a fan of Wil Wheaton's Radio Free Burrito for years. It's hard to conceive he's been putting those things out for a decade. Anyway, today's episode: Radio Free Burrito 43: my next mistake, hits on a few things that I've been thinking about lately.

He talks a bit about Taylor Swift and how crappily she's been treated by the media, and by a certain cadre of the internet. I, too, have been discovering more in her music than I expected. And what made me take a deeper look was the grace and humor she's shown while facing down the trollish brutes. Gotta love and admire anyone like that.

When talking about Pax and the hater-vibe he was feeling, he struck a nerve that's been raw. In geek circles lately, there's this whole "gatekeeper" thing going on. I hate this mentality. Perhaps it’s because I’m an old school geek from back when geekiness lined you up for bullying (at best). When you found ANYONE who shared those interests and passions, you felt delight, a thrill in someone else "getting it". Those geeks I grew up with were a remarkably inclusive crew. Hearing people proclaiming “you’re not geeky enough” is both absurd and infuriating. You're not outcast enough? Really? Of course, I've long felt frustration with those seeking to keep others out, to find some kind of purity. The purity of the experience comes from love, from passion. It's the damn feeling, the joy in something, that makes it wonderful.

Of course, I've long been a proponent of diversity in all things. And I guess here is where I'll stand. Wil is geeky enough, Taylor is too, and I'll bet you are as well. Jeez, folks, lets all go watch Star Wars and get over ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iPad and other glories

Perhaps I’m the only Macfan that’s not gaga over the iPad. It’s an interesting idea, but I’m just not sold on the concept. For what it offers, I think it would be valuable (to me) at a much lower price-point. Say, < $100. Then I could conceive. Heck, if it were $200 I would be sorely, SORELY tempted. But not $500. It doesn’t offer me much more than my iPhone. And I almost never use my Sony eReader (if the Mac version of the desktop software actually worked with it, then I might use it more). Anyway, if the iPad had handwriting recognition, or could do more with photo editing...I don’t know.

Millennium Falcon Coffee Table?

The folks over at Galatic Binder posted this awesome little table. Quite the piece of work, methinks. Were I a wealthier man, this would be on my "must have" list. It looks like it's made of bronze, so I'd hate to need to move the thing.

Hot Tub Time Machine 80’s Contest Champ: The Situation « AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com

via awkwardfamilyphotos.com There is a reason that this hairstyle that has gone extinct. Posted via web from Infernally Curious