Skip to main content

The Kindle Fire, Tablets and Reading's Future

Watched the Amazon press conference today. Well, more apt, I watched the CNet life coverage. The CNet crew are awfully fun. Most importantly, I came away longing for a new Kindle Fire. I don't need or really want the HD features, and $150 is a comfortable price point for me.

But them I wonder: is the main attraction price point? Trying to cheap-out has always backfired on me. Well, perhaps price is what makes the Kindle attractive. I still like the Nexus. And, really, the iPad. If I was rolling in dough, I'd have one of each! I guess cash is a significant consideration.

So i should really start by considering my wants & needs. Primarily comes Google integration. Mostly email & calendar, but I'm pretty invested in Google stuff; so the more the better. But I'm also an Apple guy. Thus I have music, some video, and several apps from iTunes/iOS. However, not too much. Much of that came free, and/or with Android versions. I also need a solid web browser and Evernote. With those tools in place, I'm able to work with a device. Would I have all that with a Kindle Fire? The only piece I'm not sure about is the web browser. Would I be able to access key sites I use for work? I think I can check out Kindles at Staples, etc. Easy enough question to answer.

Beyond all that, I have a major concern with the whole ereader thing: my corner bookshop. Ereaders have their various ecosystems, and many are available on multiple platforms. However, there's no place in that world for the local bookseller. Is this shop doomed? Or is there someplace for the printed page? And does resisting ereaders help prevent, or even slow this coming change?

So, I'm sure to make the tablet leap soon. Exactly which device isn't exactly clear. Several good choices now, a few more coming (iPad mini next week? I'm disappointed there's no low-cost Windows tablet right now). I guess I will see shortly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iPad and other glories

Perhaps I’m the only Macfan that’s not gaga over the iPad. It’s an interesting idea, but I’m just not sold on the concept. For what it offers, I think it would be valuable (to me) at a much lower price-point. Say, < $100. Then I could conceive. Heck, if it were $200 I would be sorely, SORELY tempted. But not $500. It doesn’t offer me much more than my iPhone. And I almost never use my Sony eReader (if the Mac version of the desktop software actually worked with it, then I might use it more). Anyway, if the iPad had handwriting recognition, or could do more with photo editing...I don’t know.

Link of the Day

Eternal Earth-Bound Pets, USA You've committed your life to Jesus. You know you're saved. But when the Rapture comes what's to become of your loving pets who are left behind? Eternal Earth-Bound Pets takes that burden off your mind. We are a group of dedicated animal lovers, and atheists. Each Eternal Earth-Bound Pet representative is a confirmed atheist, and as such will still be here on Earth after you've received your reward. Perhaps somewhat sacrilegious (ok, ok...nuke the "somewhat"), but I found this hysterical. I wonder, though, if they've made any money.

Millennium Falcon Coffee Table?

The folks over at Galatic Binder posted this awesome little table. Quite the piece of work, methinks. Were I a wealthier man, this would be on my "must have" list. It looks like it's made of bronze, so I'd hate to need to move the thing.