Skip to main content

But You Don't Look Sick

A friend of mine pointed me to this article recently, which is found powerful as an explanation of living with chronic conditions: The Spoon Theory. It's a great allegory for the life-management that those living with chronic conditions (lupus, chronic fatigue, etc) constantly deal with. Each of life's decisions represent a significant opportunity cost.

This article comes from But You Don't Look Sick, a website dedicated to those with hidden disease. Our culture stigmatizes those who don't meet our expectations for being "ill". My theory: it's tied to a disdain for folks "trying to get something for nothing", and our lingering distrust of others. It's easy to believe that they're "making it up", whether they "thrive on drama" or are "playing for sympathy", or whatever other pejorative label we rattle off. It's an easy, and painful reaction. One that needs consideration and control.

Personally, I'd rather be played a fool (as the adage goes) than not be supportive to a friend in need. Yet I, too, struggle with these reactions. And so I proceed, more aware, towards some semblance of wisdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iPad and other glories

Perhaps I’m the only Macfan that’s not gaga over the iPad. It’s an interesting idea, but I’m just not sold on the concept. For what it offers, I think it would be valuable (to me) at a much lower price-point. Say, < $100. Then I could conceive. Heck, if it were $200 I would be sorely, SORELY tempted. But not $500. It doesn’t offer me much more than my iPhone. And I almost never use my Sony eReader (if the Mac version of the desktop software actually worked with it, then I might use it more). Anyway, if the iPad had handwriting recognition, or could do more with photo editing...I don’t know.

Link of the Day

Eternal Earth-Bound Pets, USA You've committed your life to Jesus. You know you're saved. But when the Rapture comes what's to become of your loving pets who are left behind? Eternal Earth-Bound Pets takes that burden off your mind. We are a group of dedicated animal lovers, and atheists. Each Eternal Earth-Bound Pet representative is a confirmed atheist, and as such will still be here on Earth after you've received your reward. Perhaps somewhat sacrilegious (ok, ok...nuke the "somewhat"), but I found this hysterical. I wonder, though, if they've made any money.

Millennium Falcon Coffee Table?

The folks over at Galatic Binder posted this awesome little table. Quite the piece of work, methinks. Were I a wealthier man, this would be on my "must have" list. It looks like it's made of bronze, so I'd hate to need to move the thing.